Unbreakout is a tool for participatory Zoom breakout rooms. Let your meeting attendees propose their own breakout discussion topics and join a room of their choosing using a fun, collaborative interface 😎
Unbreakout is made by the MIT Media Lab Digital Learning & Collaboration Studio—the same folks who brought you Unhangout!
Creating an Unbreakout Session
- Navigate to https://unbreakout.media.mit.edu.
- Click the “Create an Unbreakout” button.
- This will bring you to a form where you can give your session a name, as well as enter in your name and email and select an emoji icon. Later on, if you create a Zoom meeting from your Unbreakout session, it will have the name you assigned here.
- Click “Launch as Host” to begin your Unbreakout session.
Sharing your Unbreakout session with participants
- Navigate to the “Host Controls”, copy the link provided in the “Registration link” section.
- Share this link with your event participants!
- When a participant goes to your registration link, they’ll be asked to register for your meeting with their name and email address. They’ll also be prompted to select an emoji icon for themselves:
- After registering, they will be transferred into the Unbreakout session.
- Registered participants’ icons will show up on the left-hand side of your meeting page.
Proposing and selecting breakout rooms
- Any participant can propose a breakout room by typing into the “Suggest a breakout” input field at the top of your Unbreakout meeting page.
- Participants may also select a breakout room they’d like to join by clicking into it. Their icon will then appear in that room. Participants can see the room they’ve chosen in the top right corner of the page.
Transferring breakouts into Zoom
The recommended method is to manually copy the breakouts into a pre-existing call. This option is more work for the host, but less disruptive to the guests’ experiences.
- To use this option, navigate to the “Host Controls” and click “Manually Copy into Zoom.”
- This will take you to a menu showing all the breakouts and their members. You can expand and collapse the breakouts by clicking on the titles.
- In your Zoom call, click “Breakout Rooms” in the bottom menu. Select “Assign manually”, and click “Create”. Now you can add rooms, give them the names in the Unbreakout menu, and assign participants.
- When you are finished manually copying the breakouts into Zoom, click “Open All Rooms” to start the breakouts.
(Experimental) Creating a New Zoom Call with the Breakouts
The other more experimental method is to create a new Zoom call. This isn’t fully supported, and may have issues. Unbreakout will create a call for you with the breakouts, and will direct your participants to join. This option is easier for the host, but if you’re already in a Zoom call, the participants may find it confusing to transfer into a second call.
- First, you need to link your Zoom account
- Click the “(Experimental) Link Zoom Account” button.
- If you’re not logged in to your Zoom account, you’ll be prompted to do so.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to grant permissions for the Unbreakout app to access your Zoom account. Click the “Authorize” button.
- You’ve now successfully connected your Zoom account to Unbreakout! Close the current window and reload the meeting page to use Zoom features.
- Now you can create the call.
- To use this option, navigate to the “Host Controls” and click “(Experimental) Transfer into a new Zoom Call”.
- Unbreakout will create the call and register your participants.
- Once this is complete, click the “Click here to join the call” button to start the Zoom call.
- In Zoom, click “Breakout Rooms” at the bottom of the screen, and select “Open All Rooms”. Now when your participants join, they will be immediately piped into their breakouts.
- Your participants will be shown a link to join the call.
- To return to the Unbreakout session, click “Reopen Breakouts.” This will discard the Zoom call if you created one, and return your participants to the breakout proposal/selection screen. To reopen breakout selection, navigate to the “Host Controls” and click “Unfreeze Breakouts”.
- Login to your Zoom Account and navigate to the Zoom App Marketplace
- Click Manage > Installed Apps or search for the Unbreakout app.
- Click the Unbreakout app.
- Click Uninstall.